- 1/2 cup parboiled rice
- 1/4 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- 6 to 8 fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 1/4 cup barley (jau)
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mixed vegetables (carrots , french beans , peas etc.)
Idli… the first dish that comes to our mind when we think of south india! i have modified this traditional snack to make it healthier by adding urad and barley. Chopped vegetables add flavour, colour and more nutrition to this dish. Serve hot with sambhar.
- Soaking Time: 2 to 3 hours.
- Preparation Time: 15 mins
- Fermenting Time: 3 to 4 hours.
- Cooking Time: 12 mins
- Makes 10 idlis
- Show me for idlis
- Wash and soak the rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds in lukewarm water for 2 to 3 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Wash and soak the barley separately in lukewarm water for 2 to 3 hours. Drain and keep 1 tbsp barley aside.
- Drain the rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds and grind along with the remaining barley in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Cover and keep aside for 3 to 4 hours to ferment.
- Add the salt and mix gently.
- Apply a little water on the idli moulds and put spoonfuls of the batter into them.
- Sprinkle a little barley and 2 tsp of vegetables over each idli and steam in a steamer for 20 minutes.
- Unmould the idlis when slightly cool and serve immediately.