Bring the popular dhaba dal right into your kitchen with infused aroma. The highway style dal cooked in a hot melange of spices, butter and a spattering tadka to stimulate your senses.
- 5 cups of water
- 1 cup Urad Dal (Split black gram)
- ½ cup arhar dal
- ¼ cup chana dal
- ½ tsp turmeric and salt as required
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ginger
- 2 green chillies
- 1 small garlic
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 small tomato, chopped finely
- ¼ cup tomato puree
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tsp of dhaba tadka mix
- 1 ½ tsp dhaniya seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds or saunf
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp Jeera (Cumin)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp ground mace (javitri) powder
The Cooking Methodology
Cook the dal with salt and turmeric in it.
How to make the Dhaba Tadka Mix:
- Dry roast the whole spices – cumin, coriander seeds, saunf (fennel seeds), cloves and cinnamon
- Now add turmeric, chilli, ground mace powder, and roast it further. Add salt and grind the mix to make a dhaba tadka mix powder. You can then store this grinded mixture in a cool, dry place and use it as and when required.
How to make the Dhaba Dal:
- In a deep frying pan, add a large tablespoon of butter, and sauté the ginger, garlic and cumin seeds together. Now add diced onions and sauté them till they turn golden brown and translucent in colour.
- Pour in the cooked dal in the pan, add salt, green chillies and chopped tomatoes. Continue to stir the dal occasionally. After few minutes pour in the tomato puree to add consistency to the dal and then add the dhaba tadka mix to give it the right flavour and aroma.
- Before serving the dal, top it with lime juice.
- This rich pulses diet is low in carbohydrates and takes you a long way to lead a healthy life. Serve this dhaba style dal hot with jeera rice, rotis or parathas and sliced onions. This is the yummy way to go healthy every day.