Moong Dal Vadas are known as pakoras, bhajias or fritters. This is a spicy delicious snack crispy outside and soft inside. Moong dal vada is a popular tasty dish.
- Split wash moong dal(1 cup)
- Potatoes boiled peeled and shredded(1 cup)
- Finely chopped cilantro (hara dhania)( 2 tablespoon)
- Green chili minced adjust to taste(1)
- Finely grated ginger(1 tablespoon)
- Cumin seeds (jeera)( 1 teaspoon)
- Asafoetida (hing)( 1/8 teaspoon)
- Baking soda(1/8 teaspoon)
- Salt (1 teaspoon) adjust to taste and oil to fry
- Wash and soak dal in about 3 cups of water for four hours or longer.
- Grind dal coarsely using very little water.
- Add all the ingredients to the dal batter, potatoes, cilantro, green chili, ginger, cumin seeds, Asafoetida and salt, beat the batter for 2-3 minutes this will make the batter light.
- Add the water if needed, batter should be soft. If batter is too thick Vadas will be hard.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high heat.
- The frying pan should have about 1 inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put one drop of batter in oil. The batter should sizzle and come up but not change color right away.
- If oil is very hot vadas will not cook through and will not be crispy.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of batter into the oil. Fry the vada in small batches. Fry vadas until golden-brown all around.
- Moong Dal Vada should be crispy from outside and should be soft inside.
- Serve them with Hari Cilantro Chutney