- 1 cup moong dal (split green gram)
- 1 cup par-boiled rice (ukda chawal)
- salt to taste
- 6 tsp oil for cooking (approx. 1/2 tsp per dosa)
1. Wash and soak the moong dal and rice in water for at least 3 hours. Drain.
2. Grind to a fine paste using a little water.
3. Cover and allow to ferment for at least 8 hours.
4. Add the salt and adjust the consistency of the batter by adding water if required. Mix well.
5. The batter should be of a dropping consistency.
6. Heat and grease a non-stick tava with oil.
7. Pour a ladleful of the batter on the tava and spread it using a circular motion, to make a thin pancake.
8. Drizzle a little oil on the sides and cook.
9. When the lower side is golden brown, fold over.
10. Repeat with the remaining batter to make more dosas.
11. Serve hot with chutney.
Par-bioled rice is a variety of rice used especially to make idlis and dosas. It is available at most grocery shops.