- 1 cup white urad daal, washed and soaked for 1 hour
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 4-5 black peppercorns
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsps ghee/ oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
Bhuni Daal is a very common Punjabi dish, which is different from regular daal preparations. There is no water and each grain of daal is separate as opposed to regular daals.
Bhuni Urad Daal
Preparation: 10 mins (+soaking time)| Cooking Time: 30 mins| Serves 4
- Heat ghee in a kadhai
- Once the ghee is hot, add onions, sauté until they start to brown
- Add green chillies and ginger. Sauté for 2-3 mins
- Add all the spices and mix well
- Drain the daal and add it to the kadhai. Mix well and sauté for 5 mins
- Add just enough water (about 1½ cup) to cover the top of daal with a thin layer and cook covered on low flame till the daal is soft and the water has dried. Depending on your liking you can keep some water so that the daal is not very dry.
- Drizzle lemon juice, mix well.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped green chillies and fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with chapatis or paranthas.
Food is never just food. I believe it’s story telling, it’s conversation. It brings people together and it speaks a universal language! I love to play around in my kitchen. The thrill of being able to create something new and sharing it with others is what fuels my passion for cooking. The fact that dear husband is a foodie and an honest critique helps! I blog about my adventures in the kitchen at http://www.myweekendkitchen.in